Life Events

  > If You Enter Active Military Service

Health Benefits Fund
If you are on active duty for 31 days or less, you will continue to receive health care coverage for up to 31 days, according to the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA).
If you are on duty for more than 31 days, USERRA permits you to continue medical and dental coverage under COBRA for you and your dependents at your own expense for up to 18 months. COBRA will be offered after your active eligibility and coverage runs out. Your dependent(s) may be eligible for health care coverage under TRICARE. The New England Carpenters Health Benefits Fund will coordinate coverage with TRICARE.
Coverage under this Fund will not be offered for any illness or injury determined by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to have incurred in, or been aggravated during, performance of service in the uniformed services. The uniformed services and the Department of Veterans Affairs will provide care for service-connected disabilities.
When you are discharged (not less than honorably) from “service in the uniformed services,” your full eligibility for Health Benefits Fund coverage will be reinstated on the day you return to the Union Office for work with a Contributing Employer, provided you return within:

  •  Ninety (90) days from the date of discharge if the period of service was more than one hundred eighty days; or
  • Fourteen (14) days from the date of discharge if the period of service was 31 days or more but less than one hundred eighty days; or
  • At the beginning of the first full regularly scheduled working period on the first calendar day following discharge (plus travel time and an additional eight hours) if the period of service was less than thirty-one (31) days.
  • You will be granted the same plan of coverage you had when you began active duty. If you are hospitalized or convalescing from an injury caused by active duty, these time limits are extended up to two years.
If you are called to military leave, you should:
  •  Notify your employer and the Fund Office; and
  • Make any required self-payments to the Fund Office to continue your coverage.
Pension and Annuity Fund
Your participation in the Pension and Annuity Fund will continue. Contact the Fund Office when you are discharged from the service. You may be eligible for hours to be credited to your Pension and Annuity for the time you were called to active duty.   A copy of your discharge papers will be required.